Estimated reading time:1 minute, 40 seconds
Red Sox Baseman’s second baseman Dustin Pedroia’s bad knee will sideline him for about seven months. Pedroia went under the knife, which surgeon Dr. Riley Williams III described as a cartilage restoration procedure, in the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York this past Wednesday.
The 34-year-old has been struggling with the injury to his left knee. In October last year, he underwent arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus, which placed him on the disabled list all except one game between July 28 and Sept. 1.
The Red Sox suggested that Pedroia’s knee problems could be chronic. Dave Dombrowski, president of baseball operations, said that the player’s bad knee means |he’s going to have to watch and we’re going to have to watch for the rest of his career.”
His chronic knee problems are costing the Red Sox a lot of money. In 2013, Pedroia signed an extension with the team for $110 million. He is still owed $56 million for the next four seasons. The team signed Eduardo Nunez to serve as the veteran’s replacement in the second base.
Chad Jennings, columnist at The Boston Herald, said that the team needs Nunez now more than ever. It’s the reason they acquired the shortstop from San Francisco in the first place. The 30-year-old acquitted himself quite well at second base as he recorded .892 OPS in about 38 games before injuring his knee this past September.
Trading Pedroia is out of the question as no team would be interested in a very expensive, often-injured player, the article said. But the team has to do something to continue to compete. The good news is Nunez’s injury doesn’t require surgery and by all accounts, he should be ready to suit up anytime soon.
According to ESPN, Pedroia won’t probably return until June of next year.